Wednesday 2 February 2011

Flow – the absence of fear?

Athletes talk about flow and how to achieve it. To be in the flow is desireable since it gives a feeling of enhanced presens in both the moment and movement.

In the Alexander Technique we make references to something we call the startle pattern or fear reflex which is an involuntary movement in the body caused by something that either scare or surprise us.

The reaction is similar to the one you would experience if you took a shower and the water turns out to be cold as ice. You'd pull your head down and raise your shoulders at the same time, bring your arms to your side, gasp and hold your breath for a split second. Your entire body thightens and your thought process is blocked.

This fear reaction is often seen in riders, it can be triggered by almost anything. Anxiety for what the horse might do, the hight of a fence, speed of gate, fear of failing as a rider - simply anything that frightens us. In that moment of tension we are unable to move, think and act. We are incapacitated for a split second and that brings us away from the moment and movement. When the tension releases we find ourselves in a situation we have to deal with. We have become followers instead of leaders.

When I became a mother Sean Scary and Fanny Fear entered my life and also my life with horses. I've had to work with the effect fear had on me. In my case it took a while just to grasp that I was actually scared. I had to acknowledge my fear to be able to get conscious control over the thought mechanisms that created anxiety in me and that was through the use of inhibition and direction.

With our new horse fear was a fact again, the knowledge I had in horsemanship was not enough to handle her forceful and vigourous gestures. Ed's visit in August was an absolute must in order to give me knowledge and confidence to overcome my fear and to continue to work our young horse.

So now, when I find myself capable of handling the rope halter and lead rope without having to look at it, when I've become better at positioning my body in regard to her body, when my feet are moving instead of being paralysed by fear we are making progress.

I've gone from reacting to her behaviour (read: follow her whims) to make her follow my descisions. She still argues but since I'm no longer afraid I can sense her reactions before they take place. I'm in the moment and movement - I'm in a flow!


~~~~~~~~
and then a mail was passed forward from an AT collegue of mine

--- But the articles from this blog (The quest for Equipoise) of two Swedish ladies are just brilliant. It's all about Classical horse riding and Alexander Technique (AT). And I think they have a lot to do with what we do at KaizenTao from a different perspective, especially what Thong has been teaching us the "magic" works.

You'll find jewels every where. Thanks for your post of a skeleton photo from that blog site a while back. That led me to the discovery of this treasure place.

Mitchell Wu

As you can imagine my smile reached all the way to the ears! Thanks for your support Mitchell!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! The connectors between the fear reflex lower brain and the higher reasoning brain are thin for starters. They are called "GABA" fibers. The survival brain is able to run the show with reactions so much faster than reason, so it makes sense it should do so. As the upper brain matures, each time you refuse fear responses and allow reason to run the show and discern the apparently fearful from the actually dangerous, these GABA fibers are strengthened. Essentially, gaining courage bulks up GABA fibers. As they fatten up, pretty soon their bulk blocks knee-jerk responses from the lower brain entirely and deliberately chosen responses that counter fearful danger are easier to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the Alexander Technique is aiming to train us to be able to consciously choose our response to different stimuli I'm glad you took your time to share your knowledge about the process involved with fear. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete